Friday, July 3, 2009

Sorry, vegetarians...

Now that summer is here, one of the many things on my to-do list is to try a new recipe at least once a week. It's not easy to find something that everyone will eat, when trying to feed this crowd: a husband who is allergic to chicken; a 12-yr-old who won't eat most things that originated in a garden; and a 4-yr-old who won't eat most things, period. That leaves me (of course, I'll eat it - I made up the menu :-), and 6-yr-old Aidan, who is a pretty good eater, at least compared to the rest. One of my good old standbys is meatloaf. I have a standard recipe that I've been using for years, and everyone is ok with it. But this week I decided that I wanted to try a new recipe, and this is what I chose:"Barbecue Meatloaf". I found it on the Taste of Home website, and it is wonderful!!! Very tangy, with just the right amount of sweetness to it. It was so good that I had seconds of it, even when I was eating it as leftovers! I will definitely fix it again, and I wanted to share the recipe with everyone, so here it is:


 


Barbecue Meat Loaf


SERVINGS: 8-10


TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1hour 20 min.


Ingredients:




  • SAUCE:

  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup vinegar

  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard

  • MEAT LOAF:

  • 2 pounds lean ground beef

  • 2 eggs, beaten

  • 1 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats

  • 1 medium onion, chopped

  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped

  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

  • 1 teaspoon pepper

  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes



Directions:


In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together meat loaf ingredients. Add half of the sauce to the meat loaf mixture; mix well. Press into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Remove from oven; drain. Pour remaining sauce over loaf. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes longer or until no pink remains. Yield: 8-10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment