Monday, June 22, 2009

Budding Artists?

Summer is here, which is a GREAT thing in many ways. Summer has always been my favorite season, but I am a teacher, so that makes summer even better! (By the way, I still work over the summer. The idea that teachers have summer and holidays "off" is a common misconception.) Anyway, one of the not-so-great things about being home for a couple of months is trying to find something for the kids to do. I remember being bored to death as a kid - there was nothing to do!!! I have 3 kids, and even with all the toys, technology, and TV available to them, of course, they still get bored. My 2 youngest ones love to color and paint, and I heard about making kids' paint with Kool-Aid, so I decided to try it. All you need is a pack of Kool-Aid, 1 1/2 tsp of water, and 1 tsp. of flour. You mix it up, and voi la! You have paint!


 



 



 



 


The kids had a lot of fun and they really enjoyed the novelty of painting with Koo-Aid, but I really wouldn't recommend it. Here's why: for one thing, it doesn't make much paint (although it's very vibrant, so a little does go a long way). Also, Kool-Aid does stain skin, if only temporarily. Finally, the colors are a bit limited - I can't find blue or green Kool-Aid in my area. Nex time, I'll just use regular paint! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment